History of South Vienna

Click here to edit subtitle



This information concerning the history of the Village of South Vienna has been compiled by Ron Shoemaker and Greg Smith. Any additional information especially concerning any past or present organizations or businesses, corrections or photographs will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your interest, Ron & Greg.

Please e-mail any items you would care to share to:
                                                                   Looking north across present Main Street on North Urbana Street
The Odd Fellows Lodge above erected their building on West Main Street in 1850, and it was remodeled in 1870.  The original building burned in the early 1900s, and the present building was built on the same site in 1910.  The lodge has occupied the upper story ever since, and the first floor has been rented to numerous tenants over the years.  The I. O. O. F. Lodge was actually chartered on June 10, 1859, and known early members included James Sprague, George Jones, William Simpson, Nathan Brooks, James Wallingford, A. H. Spence, and George Marshall. On December 5, 1952, Catawba Lodge #349 merged with South Vienna Lodge #345.

 
The Springfield and Columbus Traction Company Line, which was completed in 1901, went through the village.  The line ran parallel with the National Road, but left the road a short distance west of town, going south, and shortly afterwards it came back to the road.  It operated through the village until 1938, and had a ticket office and ice cream shop located at the northeast corner of the National Road and Urbana Street.  After the traction line stopped operating the village was served by Greyhound Bus Lines until it was no longer a profitable venture.
Above,  this  Blacksmith shop was located on North Urbana Street in the early 1900's in the building later occupied by the Marion R. Runyan Plumbing and Tinning Shop.

Ice Cream Parlor and Ticket Office for the Traction Line


Come on in the website and visit with us for a spell.  Learn about the Village and it's proud history.

Website built by Mike's PC Service