History of South Vienna

Click here to edit subtitle

                                                                                              West on Main Street, 1927

The lights came on in South Vienna on February 18, 1912 at 4:20 A. M.  This was when the 36 volt light plant started operating for the first time.  The electric was just turned on for certain hours each day, then shut off for a predetermined period of time. 


     On March 10, 1912, a new grocery store was opened in the I.O.O.F. building.  The owner-operator was Arthur Robbins, and he operated it for a few years. T Joseph Weaver was a blacksmith in the village for about 45 years, finally retiring in 1933.  Mr. Weaver and a Mr. Paul had their shop in the building on N.Urbana Street later occupied by Marion R. Runyan Plumbing and Tinning. 


     According to The Saumenig Directory of Small Towns and Rural Residents off Clark County,Ohio, 1916, the following residents were employed as listed, including the following businesses that were operating in the village.  This was probably a fairly typical distribution of community members during this era.


          Hartranft and Tanner sold grain, lumber, and coal.

          Ella Hartranft was the proprietor of the Vienna Hotel.

          Scott A. Jones operated a restaurant.

          George Merritt and Pearl Williams operated a blacksmith shop.

          Minor Poland had a livery, auto, and feed stable.

          William Ray was a grocer.

          Clyde Saunders operated a meat market.

          Hayes Slagle had a pool and billiards hall.

          Miner Slagle had a garage.

          George Wingate and Arthur T. Robbins operated  general stores.

          Jessie Bayless was the proprietor of a restaurant.

          Samuel B. Compton was a sheet metal and plumbing contractor, dealing in furnaces and general repairs.

          James Sherman Diehl, Emmett Diehl, and Elm electricians.

          James Goings was a junk dealer.

          William Merritt was a blacksmith.

          Bruce B. Mitsch was a cement worker.

          John Rathbun was a section foreman.

          Ira Robbins and Exie Sheets were clerks.

          Bruce L. Runyan was a veterinary.

          Elmer Marsh and Leonard Smith were barbers.

          Jacob Stoll, A. R. Bowman, Thomas Clark, and Cyrus B. Farish were local contractors.

          Charles Beals and William J. McKinney were hucksters.

          Hamilton Busbey was a magazine agent.

          Roy E. Cartee was a mail carrier.

          Ralph H. Clark was a telegraph operator.

          Sherman Clark was a liquor license commissioner.

          William E. Clark and Helene Diehl were clerks.

          Burton Coberly was a  painter and paper hanger.

          Carl Coberly and Joseph Coberly were machinists.

          Darius W. Coberly, John Copeland, LamoilM. Finch, Harold Marsh,

               and Marie Stoll were teachers.

          Calvin Davey, Nelson Davey, and Frank M. Farish were threshers.

          Talbon Davey was a teamster.

          Pearl D. Evans was a janitor.

          Arthur Farish, Alexander Sollars, and Frank Penthony were electricians.

          Edward W. Smith was a physician with his office in South Vienna.

          Leonard S. Smith was an agent for the O. E. Co. and a barber.

          Elgie G. Sutton was a funeral director.

          George Tavenner was a butcher.

          Albert Tracey was a chauffeur.

          George Hamilton Wilson was a sec. hand.

          Mary Wilson was a dressmaker.

          Earl Wragg was a road roller operator.


          There were numerous carpenters in the village, including Robert Baldwin, Frank Clark, Morton O.

               Clarrk, Clinton Coffy, John M. Garrett, William Hayslett, Frank Morris, John Niday, Douglas

               Osborn, Luke Penthony, Charles Poland, William Polland, Lewis E. Runyan, Charles E. Stites,

               and Milton Tavenner.

  

          Farmers were also quite numerous, and included Pern Beals, Lester Brightman, Hobert Chase,

               Charles E. Davey, Pearl Dillian, John E. Doyle, Neal Doyle, Charles Frazer, John Geldon,

               Lewis M. Grimes, Clark E. Jones, Leon Jones, Carl Kimble, William Kimble, David Merritt,

               Charles Mitch, Benjamin Murnahan, George Penrose, Decatur Tippie, Joseph Weaver,

               and Fred Yeazell.

          There were also several retired farmers in South Vienna, including Walter Bennett, Charles

               Elifritz, George E. Everhart, Amos Frock, Jeremiah Frock, Manley Goodfellow, James H. Hodge,

               George Franklin Jones, James A. Rice, Jacib Smith, James M. West, and Washington Wilson.

          There were also several men engaged in miscellaneous kinds of labor.

        

By 1921 at least these businesses were operating locally:

          R. M. Bayless Restaurant

          J. M. Dulaney Restaurant

          Ervin & Stoll Blacksmiths and Wagon Makers

          Huhn &  James Blacksmiths and Wagon Makers

          Scott Jones Bakery

          Minor Poland Livery

          A.  T. Robbins Grocery

          H. Slagle Cigarettes, Tobacco, and Pool Hall

          Miner Slagle Garage

          E. G. Sutton Undertaker

          A. Tanner & Sons Grain, Lumber & Coal

          Pearl Williams Blacksmith   

The Village Officials in 1916 included the following:

          T. A. Busbey, Mayor.  H. M. Saylor, Clerk.          

          W. G. Harris, Treasurer.

          Charles A. Beales, Marshall.

           J. S. Diehl, Health Officer    

Councilmen:

                M. O. Clark       John Copeland       D. U. Coberly     W. A. Clark     C. E. Davey         Lemuel Smith

 

                                                           Board of Public Affairs:                                                             A. T. Robbins                                         Dr. E. H. Smith                                         Charles Arbogas

                                                             E. G. Sutton, Clerk        

          About 1919, O. W. Stoll opened a grocery store on the northeast corner of Main and Urbana Streets, following Clark and West.  He occupied most of the building, nd in the other part Glenna Henry operated a dry goods store for a time.  Mr. Stoll later took over possession of the entire building, and operated a store there until he sold it to Omer and Julia Weaver about 1950.  They ran the store for a short time, then it was closed.  

          Al Lee then operated a furniture store in the building for awhile, and was followed by Bill Haddix operating an auction house for a short period of time.  

          In 1969, McGraw's moved their carpet and upholstery business there, where they operated until 1988.  Then the name was changed to Rosie's, and the store was ran by Sam McGraw's wife, Rosie, until it was closed in 2004.  It was re-opened for a short time in 2007 for a short time as McGraw's on a part-time basis by Sam McGraw, Jr.

W. C. Ray was a postmaster and grocery store owner in the village for several years.He became postmaster in 1920, and served in this position until 1943.  The post office burned January 16, 1931, when the business area burned containing the post office, a barber shop, Mr. Ray's grocery store, and two apartments.  H. A. Ratliffe operated the barber shop, and specialized in cutting ladies and childrens hair.  The families that occupied the apartments wer Ratliffe and the R. E. Cartee family.  The amount of the loss was set at $4,500.  The building was owned by John Morrow, of Springfield, and was located on the northwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets.  Following the fire, Ratloffe moved his shop to 1 E. Main Street, along with the post office and Mr. Ray's store.  The South Vienna Hotel was also located in the same building.  The entire structure was destroyed by a major fire on June 2, 1939.  Loss in this fire was estimated to be $8,250.  Mr. Ray was operating his store and the post office in the building when it burned, and Minnie Calopy was operating a hotel and the Green Candle Tavern.  At her hotel you could get a room for $1 per night and a steak or chicken dinner for $.75.

          A modern fireproof two-story structure was immediately built on this site.  The general contractor was Frank C. Clark, and the total cost of construction was approximately $17,000.  It was completed around the first of the year, 1940, and the first floor of the new building was occupied by a restaurant, dining room, and post office.  The second floor contained two apartments.  Ira I. Robbins was the owner of the property, which was the site of an inn operated during the stagecoach days by Robbins' grandfather, J. W. Widdicombe.  Mr. Robbins operated the restaurant in the new building when it was first built, then from 1946 until 1950, George (Bud) and Glenna Hornbeck operated the Hi-Way Inn in the new building.  It closed when route 40 was relocated to the south end of town, the post office moved from the east end to the west end of the building, and the rest of the building was converted into apartments.

           Other businesses in South Vienna during the 1920's and 1930's included the following:

 

     Markley's Blacksmith Shop was located on N. Urbana Street, where the Crabill and Byerly Garage, Slagle's Poolroom and Garage, the South Vienna Garage, and then a part of McGraw's Showcase Fabrics was later located.

     Farish Saw Mill was operated by Frank Farish, and was located south of where Dynes Memorial Park is presently located.

     Crabill and Byerly Garage was owned and operated by Bill Crabill and Fred Byerly. It was actually located in two buildings; 8 East Main Street and the building where Markley's Blacksmith Shop was previously located.  The two buildings were actually joined at a back corner.  Besides the garage, they also had four gas pumps.

     Farish and Farish Ford was located at 21 W. Main Street, the future location of Shoemaker's I G A.  Kenneth and Robert Farish were the owner-operators, and were in business as early as 1919.  The business continued until the early 1930's, when it was closed.  Kenneth later reopened the business at 8 E. Main Street.

     Others at the time were,

     Davy’s Garage

          Chevrolet sales and service

     South Vienna Hotel, Felix Downey, proprietor

     J. A. Stumbaugh, Barber

     T. A. Busbey, General Insurance

     Emerson Yake, Dealer in livestock

 

     A Chrysler-Plymouth Automobile Agency succeeded Farish and Farish Ford at 21 W. Main Street in the early 1930's for just a few years.

     Slagle's Poolroom and Garage were located in connecting buildings on N. Urbana Street before being succeeded by the South Vienna Garage and McWilliams' Poolroom.

 

     Clemen's  Plumbing and Tin Shop was located in the building on the west side of Urbana Street just north of the present route 40 during the 1920's and 1930's.

     Morrow's Drug Store was located on the northwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets during the late 1920's.

     L. M. Ervin sold grain, coal, and feeds, and purchased grain from local farmers.  His business was located east of the traction line depot.

     Jacob Stoll, Carpenter and Contractor.

     McCoy's Carpenter Shop was operated by John McCoy and was located in the same building with L. M. Ervin until the 1940's.

 

     The Farmer's Deposit Bank was opened in the early 1900's and was located at 7 W. Main Street.  It was closed after the bank president, H. Marlin Saylor, was shot and killed in an apparent hold-up attempt on April 24, 1934.

     Nell Clark's Restaurant was located on the southwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets during the 1920's.She apparently purchased the restaurant from Pearl McCann, then eventually sold it back to her.

     McCann's Restaurant was operated before and after Nell Clark at the same location. The daily special was a .35 dinner.

 

     W. M. Sheets Restaurant was operated by Zena Sheets in the west half of the I.O.O.F. building.  It was there during the early to mid 1930's.

     James' Grocery was located in the east half of the I.O.O.F. building during the 1930's.  It was operated by Ulysses (Fuddy) James until he sold to Virgil Gahm in the late 1930's. 

     Gahm's Grocery succeeded James' for a very short period of time, then sold the business to his cousin, Earl E. Shoemaker on March 4, 1940.

     The South Vienna Poultry Company was owned by Ira Robbins in a building behind 21 W. Main Street.  He was a wholesale poultry and egg distributor.  This building burned in 2006.

     Phillips' Sinclair Station was located on the northwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets after the businesses on this corner burned in 1931. 

 

     Marion R. Runyan Plumbing and Tinning started in business on N. Urbana Street in the mid 1930's and continued until his sudden death in October, 1963.

     E.H. Long, M.D. started practicing medicine at 11 N. Urbana Street about 1928, and practiced there until he suddenly passed away in December, 1950.

 

     J. Frederick Doyle, M.D. opened his practice at 7 W. Main Street in 1934, in the building vacated by the bank.  He practiced in the same building until his retirement on December 18, 1987.

     Stoll’s Store, Lafferty’s Hotel, South Vienna Garage, and Jacob Stoll, carpenter and contractor , were also doing business in South Vienna in 1930. 

     Others during this time were Ashing Barber Shop, Arthur Ladrigan's Patent Medicine Store, Dawn Donut Co., South Vienna BarberShop, operated by Clarence Warner, J. W. Jones Electric and Plumbing, Riley's Barber Shop, Goodfellow Bakery, Davy’s Ice Station, A Creamery Station, and the Traction Car Depot.

 

               During the 1920's there was a baseball field where the machine shop is presently located.  A local team hosted games nearly every Sunday  afternoon during the summer.  Then, the field was relocated to the present location, and the tradition continued through the 1940's. 

   

Businesses operating in the village during the 1940's included:

          Marion R. Runyan Plumbing and Tinning

                    Located on N. Urbana Street.

          South Vienna Garage

                    Operated, along with the adjoining pool room, by Bob Wren from 1944 until his death in 1949.

          McWilliams Pool Room

                    Located on N. Urbana Street until 1951, after Bob Wren.

          Shoemaker's Market

                    Earl Shoemaker purchased this business from Virgil Gahm in March, 1940.  It was located in the east half of the I.O.O.F. Lodge building, and

                    the basement was used for storage.  Sometime in the late 1940's the business expanded to include the entire first floor of the building.

          Riley's Barber Shop

                    Located in west side of I.O.O.F. building in early 1940's.

          Don Niesse Barber Shop

                    He bought out Riley.  Had his barber shop in the same place, but lived in the back half of that side of the building until Shoemaker's expanded.

          Pat Ogg Distributorship

                    Distributor in the area of Cities Service Oil products.

          O. W. Stoll Grocery

                    Opened about 1919, and continued to operate through the 1940's at 2 E. Main Street.

          Glen Robinson Massey Harris Implement Company

                    Located at 21 W. Main Street until business was closed in 1955.  Building was sold to Earl Shoemaker in the early 1950's, and the grocery 

                    moved there in the spring of 1956.

          Harry Woods Welding

                    Located in same building as Glen Robinson Massey Harris. Was in business here from 1946 until 1955.

          Pool Room

                    Located in the east front corner of the Massey Harris building for awhile.  Run by Paul Troxell.

          Palmer (Bus) Ray Chevrolet

                    Dealership was located at 8 E. Main Street in early 1940's.

          South Vienna Poultry Company

                    Still operated by Ira Robbins until he sold the business to one of his employees, Rudy Nida.

          Hardman Elevator

                    Succeeded L. M. Ervin.  Located where Crossroads Eye Care is presently located.  Des Hardman sold coal, feed, grain, and Case farm 

                    implements.  He also purchased grain from local farmers.

          Tony Diblin

                    Operated the elevator for a short time after Hardman.

          South Vienna Service Station

                    Located on northwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets.  Owned by Bob Wren until he moved across the street to run the garage, then Jesse

                    McAdams had a SOHIO station there until 1947.  Charlie Stewart and Roger Neff had the station from 1947 until 1950.

          Spiller Tractor Sales

                    Sold farm equipment and Case tractors at 8 E. Main Street.

          Lowe Tractor Sales

                    Ed Lowe had this business at 8 E. Main Street during the late 1940's and early 1950's.

          Vienna Motel

                    Started by Michael Spinelli at  125 E. National Road in the 1940's.  It had 16 modern brick units, private tile showers, central heating, and

                    Simmons Beautyrest mattresses.

          Veterans Training School

                    Operated in building at 8 E. Main Street in 1946.


          U. S. Route 40 was moved south of town and had two lanes added in 1950.  Two houses were moved to clear the path for the new construction.  One

of them is presently located at 463 S. Urbana Lisbon Road.


1950's Businesses in South Vienna Included:

          Gilbert McCombs SOHIO

                    Purchased business from Stewart and Neff in January, 1951, and sold it to Gilbert Aronhalt in 1966.  It was located on the northwest corner of

                    Main and Urbana Streets.

          Vienna Motel

                    Was purchased by Jerry Dafler, and had a restaurant connected that was operated for awhile by Bob Colvin.  In early 1950's it was changed to

                    a nursing home and named Sharonview.

          Restaurant on southwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets

                    During the 1950's several different persons operated a restaurant at this location for short periods of time.

          South Vienna Poultry Company

                    Purchased about 1951 by Steve Yeoman from his father-in-law, Rudy Nida.  Steve operated this business for about fifteen years.

          Shoemaker's Market

                    Located in I.O.O.F. Lodge building until the spring of 1956, when the store moved across the street into the building formerly occupied by

                    Glen Robinson Massey Harris.  A wooded area next door was cleared to make room for a parking lot.  In 1958 Earl Shoemaker was joined 

                    in the business by his son, Ron.

          Marion R. Runyan Plumbing and Tinning

                    Continued his business from the 1940's.

          South Vienna Garage

                    Russell Smith and Clyde Thomas started this business about 1949 on N. Urbana Street and continued through the 1950's.

          Silver Machine Company

                    Operated by Ed Silver on S. Urbana Street.

          Hollandia Supply Company

                    This building was started in the K. of P. building by Roger Aukeman.  He purchased the building from the village in 1953 and used it primarily

                    as a warehouse for agricultural chemicals, garden, farm, and horticultural supplies that he sold to garden centers.  He was also an authorized 

                    dealer for powersprayers, harvesting and packing house equipment.  He also used the building at * E. Main Street as a warehouse for a time.

          Weaver's Grocery

                    Omer and Julia Weaver purchased the business at 2 E. Main Street from O. W. Stoll about 1950 and operated it for a short time.

          Lee's Furniture

                    Owned by Al Lee and succeeded Weaver's Grocery at 2 E. Main Street for a few years.

          Bill Haddix Auction

                    Followed Lee's Furniture, until McGraw's moved their business into the building.


          William C. Fippin, M.D. was associated with Dr. J. F. Doyle from July, 1958 until December, 1959.


          For a time during the 1950's, movies were shown on a large screen at the park one night a week during the summer.

          Little league baseball was started in South Vienna in 1956 when Merrill Weller and Art Haggy organized a team for fifth and sixth grade boys who attended South Vienna School.  They played in a league with two teams from Tremont City, where all of the games were played.

Businesses during the 1960's included:

          McGraw's Carpet

                    This business was started in 1961 as McGrw's Carpet Cleaning by Kyle McGraw.  He was working from his home on Sylvan Shores Drive.  Soon             

                     he expanded his business to include new carpet and upholstery sales.  In 1966, he moved the business to a storefront, located in the I.O.O.F.                                                                       

                     building, and began selling, in addition to carpeting, new furniture.  In about 1968 he again moved the business, this time to a block building 

                     behind 131 W. Main Street.  In 1969 he purchased the building at 2 E. Main Street, and started selling drapery and dress-making fabrics.  The

                     two buildings directly behind the store were purchased and the business continued to expand, with locations in Columbus, Dayton, and Lima.

          Shoemaker's Market

                    In 1961 the building was enlarged into the parking lot, and ground was purchased from Don Cornwell, who lived next door, to move the parking lot 

                    further to the west.  Virgil Akers, Jr., Earl Shoemaker's son-in-law, joined the business in 1965.

          The Igloo

                    Located in the west half of the I.O.O.F. building.  Jean Weller operated this business during the early 1960's.

          Shoemaker's Hardware and Variety Store

                    Conducted business for a few years in the west half of the I.O.O.F. Lodge building after the Igloo closed.

          Dan Shaw Pharmacy

                    Located in the east half of the I.O.O.F. building during the early 1960's.

          The Kiln Shed

                    Operated by Corky Allen and his wife, Sarah, from 1963 until 1988 at 26 S. Urbana Street, where Crossroads Eye Care is

                    presently located.  Sold pottery and other miscellaneous items.

          Gilbert Aronhalt Gulf Station

                    Purchased station from Gilbert McCombs in April, 1966.  Located on northeast corner of Main and Urbana Streets until 1970, when I70 came 

                    through the north end of town.  Aronhalt then moved to North Urbana Street, and opened a new Marathon station where Speedway is

                    presently located.

          South Vienna Garage

                    Dick Smith succeeded his father and Clyde Thomas in this business.

          Vienna Motel and Restaurant

          South Vienna Poultry Company

          Gene Mershon's TV Repair Shop

                    Operated from his home on S. East Street


          William Garringer, M.D. was associated in medicine with Dr. Doyle for a few years after Dr. Fippin                                                                                


          In 1969 the village required beggars to carry permits on Beggar's Night, Oct. 30.  Plagued by complaints of outsiders flocking to the village during Halloween for the past several years, the village council decided that South Vienna youngsters would have to carry village-issued permits for identification purposes.


          I 70 was constructed through the north end of the town in 1970.  About a half-dozen houses were displaced during this construction.  Several other houses were demolished to make room for businesses located close to the interstate.  The Methodist parsonage and another house, located immediately south of Park Drive were torn down in 1970 to construct a SOHIO Service Station.  The parsonage was sold in November, 1970, for $25,000 and in 1971 the station was actually built.  

   

          In 1972 the South Vienna Quarterback Club was organized.  The primary purpose of the club is to sponsor football teams for fourth, fifth, and sixth grade boys attending South Vienna School.  The teams are called the South Vienna Vikings, and the first president of the club was Allan Haley.

1970's Businesses Included:

          McGraw's Carpet and Draperies

                    In 1978 the business was incorporated as McGraw's Showcase Fabrics.  Kyle McGraw continued to be involved, even as he was semi-retired.

          Shoemaker's Market

          Hollandia Supply Company

          Gilbert Aronhalt Marathon

          The Kiln Shed

          Silver Machine Shop

          South Vienna Garage

                    Operated by Dick Smith until he accepted a job with the Northeastern School District as a mechanic about 1975.

          D. W. Motors

                    Owned by D. W. Willimson, and located on the northwest corner of Main and Urbana Streets after the service station had moved closer to the 

                    interstate.  He sold used cars there during 1974 and 1975.

          Miller Group Home

                    Kenny and Donnabelle Miller purchased the house at 28 W. Main Street from Harvey and Marcia Haddix, for the purpose of operating a group 

                    home.  They operated this from 1972 until they sold out in 1980 to Pat and Lori Thomas.  When they opened the doors in 1972 they became

                    Ohio's first licensed group home for mentally handicapped boys in the state.  The Millers' goals were to see that their boys would be educated,

                    have a trade, and be able to someday live on their own.  They had a workshop at the rear of their property that was once a barn, where they

                    made toys, doll furniture, and plate stands.  These items were sold to purchase more supplies.  After winning the county and state father of the

                    year award in 1979, the Millers retired in 1980.

          Miller's Bookkeeping and Tax Service.

                    Kenny Miller operated this business from his home starting in 1972.


Businesses in South Vienna during the 1980's were:

          McGraw's Carpet and Fabrics

                    Kyle McGraw turned the operation over to his son, Sam, in the early 1980's.

          Shoemaker's Market

                    Rollie Shoemaker and David Akers, sons of Ron Shoemaker and Virgil Akers, Jr. became affiliated with the business in 1982 and 1989

                    respectively.

          Speedway, Starvin Marvin

          Fuel Mart

          South Vienna Garage (and various other names)

                    Located on southeast corner of Park Drive and N. Urbana Street.

          D.L.D. Hardware

                    Operated by Don Dougherty on northwest corner of N. Urbana Street and W. Main Street.

          Weimer's Construction and Home Maintenance

                    Gary Weimer established this business in 1986, offering a complete line of construction and remodeling services.

          Complete Furniture Service

                    Operated by David Kelly from his garage on S. Urbana Street.

          Silver Machine Shop


      IN 1988 THE FOLLOWING BUSINESS BUILDINGS WERE IN SOUTH VIENNA

                    

By the 1990's, the businesses operating in town were:

          McGraw's Showcase Fabrics

                    The business flourished until about 1995, when Sam McGraw was forced to retire with a myriad of health problems.  In 1998, the family decided 

                    to close the business and the corporation was disbanded.

          Rosie's Upholstery and Drapery

                    Was soon opened in the same location by Rosie McGraw, Sam's wife, and she operated the home decorating store for a relatively short time.

          Shoemaker's Market

                    In 1996 the entryway was added to the west side of the store.  The store closed in November, 2010, after 70 years in business.

          Perk Station

                    Opened by Allen and Polly Perkins in the west side of the I.O.O.F. Lodge building in 1998.  Started as a coffee shop and evolved into a full 

                    service restaurant, but not for long.

          Speedway, Starvin Marvin

          Fuel Mart

          Crossroads Furniture

                    Opened in 1990 at 26 S. Urbana Street by Chuck Alexander, after spending considerable time remodeling the building that formerly housed

                    the Kiln Shed.

          South Vienna Garage

          D.L.D. Hardware

          Gary Weimer Home Remodeling

          Complete Furniture Service

          Ernie's Upholstery and Repairs

                    Opened at 13 W. Main Street by Ernesto Macias.

          C.C.L. Trucking

          Country Corner Beauty Shop

          Machine Shop

          Miller's Bookkeeping and Tax Service

                    Kenny Miller retired in 1998 because of health reasons.


          A new village building was built at 149 W. Main Street in 1997.  Previously, the offices were located at 16 N. Urbana Street.


          A new township building was built at 11000 E. National Road.  This building was dedicated on September 14, 1997.


In the early 2000's the following new businesses opened:

          Perk Station

                    After its closing in the late 1990's, this business was reopened by Rose Zettler for a relatively short period of time.

          Southwest Images Designs

                    Operated by Kimberly Roberts in the I.O.O.F. Lodge building for a short period of time after Perk Station closed again.

          Ruth's Antiques

                    Operated by Ruth Jones at 25 S. Urbana Street from 2001 until 2005.

          Old Forty Emporium and Flea Market

                    Opened at 8 E. Main Street in 2001 for a short period of time.

          Rosie's Showcase Fabrics

                    Was open until 2004, when the business closed.

                                                                               SOUTH VIENNA IN 2001

By 2005, the businesses still operating in town were Shoemaker's Market, Fuel Mart, Speedway, Frost Automotive Repair, Ernie's Upholstering, Main Street Pizza, The Machine Shop, Gary Weimer Home Repairs, and Crossroads Eye Care.


Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers, based in Vancouver, British Columbia, opened an auction site in South Vienna in 2007, and held their first auction here on April 11, 2007.  They are the world's largest truck and industrial equipment auctioneering company, with 110 facilities, including 35 auction sites, in over 25 countries.  The company was founded in 1958 by Dave, Ken, and John Ritchie, and they held their first industrial auction in 1963.  Their first auction in the United States was held in 1970.  The South Vienna site is the company's eighteenth in the United States and will provide a means to sell crawler tractors,hydraulic excavators, scissorlifts,loader backhoes, dump trucks, and wheel loaders, along with many smaller items.


Fuel Mart, Speedway, Ernie's Upholstering, Main Street Pizza, Crossroads Eye Care, The Machine Shop, and Auto Sales and Repair were operating in town in 2013.  Also, Vienna Market and Dairy and Self-Reliance Corporarion, both owned by Jay Crawford had opened for business at 21 W. Main Street, in the building vacated by Shoemaker's Market.