History of South Vienna

Click here to edit subtitle


The Government of the Village



The Village of South Vienna was first incorporated in January of 1901, and the

citizens of the village set up a weak mayor-council form of government. In a weak
mayor-council form of government, the mayor and the council are elected at large. The
mayor serves as the chief executive of the village. The mayor presides at council
meetings, is the head of the police force, and is the budgetary
officer of the village. The council is the legislative branch of
the village, and all proposals of the mayor are subject to its
approval. The council is in charge of appointments and
removals, and the mayor does not have the power to veto any
council decisions. Toni Keller is currently the mayor of the
village, an office she has held since 2000. The village
council is made up of six members. Current members of the
village council include Warren Smith, Donna Smith, John
Blanton, Roger Davis, John Schmid, and Rhonda Sagraves.
The village also has a fiscal officer, which is a non-elected
position, appointed by council. The current fiscal officer is
Marcia Farquer. The Board of Public Affairs was created by
council to regulate the utilities within the village. This body
is in charge of maintaining and collecting fees for the village
water, sewer, and electric service. The board is comprised of
three elected members, and Josef Huenen, Jackie Miller, and
Walt Newman currently hold these positions.

Persons who have served as mayor of the village include:
D. U. Coberly 1901 - 1903       Marion R. Runyan 1940 - 1941
S.M. Finch 1903 - 1905       D. P. Swallow 1942 - 1944
Mayor Weatherford 1906 - 1907       Robert B. Wren 1944 - 1944
Mayor Jones 1907 - 1907       Harry E. Pemberton 1944 - 1947
Dr. D. H. Thomas 1908 - 1908       Harold Warner 1948 - 1948
S. M. Finch 1908 - 1909       Wilson Sheets 1948 - 1949
T. A. Busbey 1910 - 1916       John E. Doyle 1950 - 1953
John Copeland 1917 - 1919       Thomas D. Donkin 1954 - 1955
D. U. Coberly 1919 - 1919       William W. Wilson 1956 - 1957
A. T. Robbins 1920 - 1921       Thomas W. Flarida 1957 - 1961
M. H. Tavenner 1921 - 1921      Frederick J. Sheerin 1964 - 1965
I. A. Robbins 1924 - 1927       John R. Garringer 1966 - 1969
C. E. Osborn 1928 - 1929       John W. Kennedy 1969 - 1972
Neal Doyle 1930 - 1931       Frederick J. Sheerin 1972 - 1974
Kenneth E. Farish 1931 - 1931       John W. Kennedy 1974 - 1983
D. P. Swallow 1932 - 1936       Henrietta Hocter 1983 - 1999
Howard Logue 1936 - 1939       Toni Keller 2000 - Present




SEWER AND WATER


     A resolution was passed February 26, 1957, when Tom Flarida was mayor, declaring it necessary to construct a water system.  The water system was installed in 1958, and by February 2, 1979, everyone in the village was required to be connected, because of EPA regulations.

 

     Work on the sewer system was started in 1991, and completed in 1992.  The system carried a price tag of $3.2 million.  The village received $1,727,000 from U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, $999,000 in federal loans and grants from Farmers Home Administration, and a $274,000 Issue 2 grant from the state.  The remaining $200,000 was paid for by the village and by customers in monthly payments.