History of South Vienna

Click here to edit subtitle



Thomas C. Busbey was born in the town of Romney, in Hampshire County, Virginia, on March 13, 1815.  He came to Harmony Township with his family that same year and resided in the area the rest of his life.  He started teaching school at the age of nineteen, and continued to teach in Clark County for 35 years.  Mr. Busbey was united in marriage on May 24, 1838, to Anna Bodkin, a daughter of Richard Bodkin, who was a pioneer of Ohio.  Ten children were born to this marriage and included William, L. W., Charles S., T. A., Louise, Angelina, Hattie, Mary, and Daniel W.  A remarkable circumstance connected this family in that nine of the ten children have been school teachers.  Mr. Busbey enlisted as a "squirrel hunter" to defend Cincinnati against the Kirby Smith raid.  Mr. Busbey was elected township treasurer of Harmony Township; served for seven or eight years as township clerk; and served for ten years as a member of the Republican Central Committee.

He was born on a farm in Franklin County, Ohio, on February 15, 1855 He was the son of Josiah O. and Nancy Smith. Dr. Smith received his early education in the public school system. After a period of time studying medicine privately, Dr. Smith entered Starling Medical College, of Columbus, in 1875. He graduated with a Doctor of Medicine Degree in 1878, and started a practice in South Vienna soon after graduation. On June 4, 1879, Dr. Smith married Ida May Ellinger, and they had one daughter, Alena Ruth. Dr. Smith was part owner of the Enterprise Manufacturing Company from the company’s creation in 1904 until he was bought out in 1907 by John Goodfellow, one of his partners in the business. Dr. Smith was a member of the Vienna I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 345, a member of the South Vienna Methodist Episcopal Church, and a member of the Beaver Valley Golf Club. Dr. Smith died while working in his office in South      
                                  Vienna in 1927.

WILLIAM C. RAY                                                                                                                                                                 He was born on January 30, 1877, in Vinton County, Ohio, the son of Jesse and Josephine Ray, of New Carlisle, Ohio.  He received a common education, and followed in his father’s footsteps by becoming a farmer.  W. C. was married to Mabel Robbins on August 31, 1902, and the couple had two children, a daughter Marjorie, and a son, Palmer.  In 1907, W. C. gave up farming and went into the grocery business.  He owned a grocery in New Carlisle for two years, one in Hilliard for one year, one in Canal Winchester for two years, and one in Columbus for two years.  Finally, around 1915, W. C. Settled in South Vienna and opened a grocery.  In May of 1920, he became postmaster of South Vienna, and held that post until his death on July 2, 1951.   During all of these years, he was not only the postmaster, but also operated his grocery store.  He was a member of the Vienna Lodge No. 660, Knights of the Pythias, and he was a member of the South Vienna Methodist Episcopal Church.  

Dr. Long was born Sept. 22, 1897, near Blanchester, Ohio, the son of Benjamin and Rose Long. He obtained his degree in medicine at Eclectic College, in Cincinnati. He served a year of internship at Springfield City Hospital, beginning in 1921. After completing his term as an intern, he continued his study of medicine in Europe. Upon his return to the United States, Dr. Long established an office in South Vienna with Dr. Edgar Smith. He practiced with this physician until Dr. Smith’s death, at which time he assumed
his practice. Dr. Long was a member of the Clark County Medical Society, and also a member of the Ohio and American Medical Associations and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Clark County Sanitarium. He was also a member of the Springfield Country Club, Springfield Polo Club, and the Van Dyke Club. He was a 32d degree Mason and was a member of Fielding Lodge, F. And A. M. at South Charleston, and at Columbus the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite and Accepted Order of Noble Mystic Shrine. He helped initiate Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops in South Vienna, and served on the village council in 1947 and 1948. He later served as a member of the village zoning board. He was an avid hunter and fisherman, and was the first physician in Clark
County to own and fly an airplane. His wife was Mary, and they had two children, Mary Joyce (Joy), who was born in 1937, and Edgar Marlin Saylor (Happy), who was born in 1938. Dr. Long died of a heart attack in December, 1950.

Dr. Doyle was born August 2, 1907, in Clark County, Ohio. He graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1925, from Ohio State University, with a bachelor of arts degree, in 1930, and received his doctor of medicine degree from Creighton University, in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1934. He served an internship at the old City Hospital, now Community Hospital, in 1934 and 1935, then practiced family medicine in South Vienna from 1935 until his retirement in 1987. He was a member of Phi Rho Sigma National Medical Fraternity, and also maintained memberships in the Ohio and Clark County chapters of the American Medical Associations. He
was a member of the American Academy of Family Practice from 1949 until his retirement. He was on the active medical staffs at Community Hospital and Mercy Medical Center until his retirement, and was a member of the Clark County Board of Education for nearly twenty-five years. Dr. Doyle served as a director of the former First State Bank, in South Charleston and as an advisory board member following the bank’s acquisition by Society Bank. He owned a 300 acre dairy farm, and received an Ohio Wildlife Conservation Award in 1968 for the numerous conservation practices he practiced. He was married to Edna Schultz for fifty years, and had one son, James Neal. He passed away March 20, 1990, in Community Hospital from complications resulting from a
fall in his home in South Vienna.

Earl was born September 21, 1911, in Scioto County, Ohio, the son of William Sampson and Stella Agnes (Irwin) Shoemaker. He had four brothers, Ralph, Ray, Floyd, and Frank (Casey) Shoemaker, and three sisters, Celia Shoemaker, Esther Colvin, and Edna Shaw. He was a graduate of Selma High School, then operated a dairy near Pitchin, Ohio from 1933 until 1940.
In 1940, he purchased a grocery store in South Vienna, which he operated until his retirement in 1975. He was a member of the United Church of South Vienna and Fielding Lodge Number 192 (F&AM). He also had served as a member of the Board of Directors of Security National Bank. He built the Shoemaker Shopping Plaza in South Charleston after a fire had destroyed practically the entire block. He was married to Mary Emily (Levens) in 1934. She was born on February 24, 1912 in South Charleston, Ohio, and they had two sons, Ronald E. and William E. (who died in infancy), and one daughter, Marilyn Kay. They lived in South Vienna until their deaths. She died on December 29, 1988, and he died on July 3, 1990.
Kenny was born in 1914, in Vincennes, Indiana, the son of Charles A Miller and Ada B. (Hopkins) Miller. Kenny has one sister, Edna Mae Spiers. He graduated from Springfield High School in 1930, and soon after started to work as a tool and die machinist. He worked for several companies in the Dayton - Springfield area, including SPECO, Robbins & Myers, White Motors, General Motors - Vandalia, WACO Aircraft, and other small machine shops. Kenny then started Miller Bookkeeping and Tax Service in South Vienna in 1972 and operated it until 1998. He also served in the United States Navy during World War II. He was a member of the village council of South Vienna for twelve years, was a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department, and was instrumental in bringing Emergency Medical Service to the South Vienna Area. Kenny is a life member of the V.F.W., a member of the #397 Eagles, and a member of the United Church of South Vienna. Donna was born in Green County, Ohio, October 20, 1919, the daughter of Raymond Kunkle and Arrella (Sparrow) Kunkle. She has five brothers, Ellsworth, Millard, Jack, Windall, and Philip Kunkle, and one sister, Frannie Hanks. She served as a member of the Board of Public Affairs from 1987 until 2006,was treasurer and vice-president of the Madonna of the Trail Club, and a member of the V.F.W. She was also a member of the United Church of South Vienna. Kenny and Donna were married in 1936, and have three sons; Raymond, born in 1936, Melvin, born in 1938, and John, born in 1941. Kenny and Donna started the first group foster home for mentally handicapped children in the state of Ohio in 1972 in South Vienna, and for their efforts he received the Foster Father Governor Award in 1979. They then retired from thisline of work in 1980. Kenny died in February, 2007, and Donna followed in April, 2011.
Fred Sheerin was born in South Charleston, Ohio, on Sept. 15, 1915, and Marvine Sheerin was born in Pleasant Township, Ohio, on November 5, 1917. They were married on January 16, 1937, and they had five children: Phyllis Dove, Bonita Sheerin, Stephen Sheerin, Nathan Sheerin, and Timothy Sheerin. Fred graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1933, and was a foreman at Navistar for 36 years until his retirement in 1975. Fred served on the village council from 1956-1964 and 1969-1972, and he was mayor of the village from 1964-1975 and 1972- 1974. He was a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department, and served for a time as assistant chief. He was also a member of the St. Charles Church in South Charleston, Ohio. Fred died on April 28, 1998. Marvine graduated from Catawba High School in 1935, and was a housewife and acting postmaster of the South Vienna Post Office from 1964-1966. She served on the village council from 1974-1986, and was an original member and co-chairman of the Corn Festival Committee. She was a member of the St. Charles Catholic Church in South Charleston, and a member and Noble Grand of the PurityRebekah Lodge in South Vienna. Marvine died in December 0f 2000.
Ralph Phares was born in Columbus, Ohio on March 6, 1921, and Rose Phares was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on January 5, 1921. They were married on January 3, 1942 and they have eight children; Sue Dill, Doxie Phares, Marsha Newman, James Phares, file://localhost/Users/carolynshoemaker/Desktop/Scan%20164.jpegRalph Phares Jr., Mike Phares, Randy Phares, and Charles Phares. Ralph graduated from Christiansburg Jackson High School in1939, and attended Ohio State University. He was a farmer, and a custodian and bus driver for the Northeastern School District,
and he retired from Navistar after 20 years. He was a member of the United Church of South Vienna, a member of the South Vienna Board of Public Affairs, and a firefighter and chief of the Harmony Township Fire Department. He was also a special friend at South Vienna School and a member of the Ohio Lyric Theater. He died in September of 1997. Rose also graduated from Christiansburg Jackson High School in 1939, and was a housewife for most of her life. She was a member of the United Church of South Vienna, a dispatcher for the Harmony Township Fire Department, a special friend at South Vienna School, and an original member of the Corn Festival Committee. Rose died on June 21, 2008.
Tom was born March 9, 1921, in Shadyside, Ohio, the son of James and Agnes Donkin.He had four sisters, Robina (Donkin) Jack, Barbara (Donkin) Morgan, Mary (Donkin) Vierheller, and Margaret (Donkin) Morgan. He also had three brothers, George, James, and William Donkin.He graduated from Shadyside High School in 1939, was a Navy veteran of World War II, and a graduate of Ohio University with a Bachelor’s degree of Commerce, in 1949. He moved to Clark County in 1949, and was a two-time mayor of South Vienna, serving in 1954-55 and 1962-63. He retired from International Harvester, as a Time Study Supervisor, a position he held for twenty-eight years, and also served as one of the first “Special Friends” of South Vienna School. Tom was a member of the United Church of South Vienna and has been a deacon, Sunday School teacher, and church treasurer, as well as chairman of the board and youth group leader. He was one of the leaders who helped unite the United Church of South Vienna and the United Methodist Church of South Vienna. He passed away May 24, 2002.
Alice was born in 1926, in Dayton, Ohio, the daughter of George Washington Schultz and Beatrice Amelia Schultz. Alice has five siblings, including two sisters, Ellen Rae Schultz and Judith (Schultz) Light. She also has three brothers, Charles W., Nelson, and William P. Schultz. She graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1944 and soon after started to school at Ohio University. She graduated in 1948 with a degree in elementary education. She taught school in
Nelsonville, Ohio, from 1948 - 1949, and then in Springfield, Ohio, from 1949 through 1953. In 1962, Alice started teaching in the Northeastern School District. She taught at Plattsburg Elementary, and later at South Vienna Middle School until 1984, when she retired. She is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, and has held many positions within the church, including deacon, Sunday school teacher for many years, member of the choir, benevolence treasurer, and youth group les\ader. She is also a member of the Dorcas Circle of the United Church. She was also involved with the Brownies and Girl Scouts, as a leader, and also served on the official board of the Girl Scouts. Tom and Alice were married in 1948, and they had two daughters, Elizabeth Anne (Donkin)

Thomas Flarida was born in Springfield, Ohio, on August 16, 1924, the son of George andHelen (Tetrick) Flarida. He was married to his wife Joan for 55 years and they had four children: Joel Flarida, Marianne Mitchell, Gloria Tiemann, and Robert Flarida. Thomas retiredfrom Ohio Bell Telephone Company in 1982, after 36 years as an engineer. He was a member of the village council from 1954 until 1957, and was village mayor from 1957 through 1961. He was a member of St. Johns Lutheran Church in Springfield, a member and former trustee of the Clark County Park District.He was a past president of Tecumseh Trail Blazers Volks march Club, and was a World War II United States Army veteran, serving with the signal corps. He diedSeptember 4, 1997, in Springfield’s Community Hospital following a seven month   
Steve Yeoman was born in Harmony Township, Ohio 0n June 22, 1925, and Joan was born in South Vienna, Ohio on October 17, 1928 and they had two children; Rodney Yeoman and Roxanne Yeoman. Steve graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1943. He was a farmer for five years, was owner operator of a wholesale poultry and egg business in South Vienna for eighteen years, then worked at Navistar for 20 ½ years. He was a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge in South Vienna for over fifty years, and during this time he held every office within the lodge, including Noble Grand. He was a member of the United Church of South Vienna where he held the positions of trustee and finance committee chairman, and he was also advertising chairman for the Corn Festival Committee. Joan graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1946, then worked at Wren’s Department Store for two years. After that she worked for Dr. E. H. Long, in South Vienna, for two years, then worked as a secretary for the Northeastern School District for thirty years. She was a member of the United Church of South Vienna where she was the organist for forty years. She was also a member of the Dorcas Circle and was a board member. Joan was a member of the Rebekah Lodge where she held the position of Noble Grand. She was also treasurer of the Corn Festival Committee. She died August 16, 2003 and he followed on April 8, 2006.
Howard Runyan was born in Dayton, Ohio on March 15, 1930,and Charlotte was born in Springfield, Ohio, on January 26, 1933.
They were married in 1957, and have one daughter, Debbie Korab. Howard is a graduate of Plattsburg High School (1948).
He retired from Navistar in 1982, after 32 years, and he also worked for the Village of South Vienna Board of Public Affairs
for 34 years as the Maintenance Supervisor and Sewer Superintendent. Howard was a member of the United Church of
South Vienna, and the IOOF Vienna Lodge #345, where he has held the positions of Noble Grand, Vice Grand, Financial Secretary, and Trustee. He was also a long-time member of the Corn Festival Committee, and was a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department. Charlotte is a graduate of Springfield South High School, and was formerly employed by Ohio Thermometer Company, Shoemaker’s Super Valu, The Kiln Shed, South Vienna School, and the Clark County Board of Elections. She is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, and the Little Miami Lodge #379. She is active in the Dorcas Circle, United Church of South Vienna, where she has held several offices. Charlotte resides in South Vienna, and Howard died on Feb. 1, 2012.
Roger Runyan was born in Springfield, Ohio, on March 3, 1935, and Suzanne (Rockfield) Runyan was born in Springfield,
Ohio, on Sept. 8, 1935. They were married on December 21, 1955, and they have four children: Doug Runyan, Dr. Tom
Runyan, Jane Schmid, and Robert Runyan. Roger is a 1953 graduate of Northeastern High School and attended Wittenberg
University in 1953-1954. He served in the United States Army from 1955-1957, then retired from Navistar in 1997, after forty
years of service. He was then employed part-time by the Village of South Vienna and by South Vienna School for several years.
Roger is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, where he has held the positions of Deacon and Trustee. He was the chairman of the Corn Festival Parade from its very beginning until he retired from the position because of health reasons. He coached girls basketball at Northeastern for 11 years and also spent time as assistant baseball coach. He was the scorekeeper for Northeastern boys basketball from 1976 until about 2008. He was an active member in the Northeastern Boosters Club, and he also coached little league baseball for many years. Suzanne is also a 1953 graduate of Northeastern High School, and a 1956 graduate of the Miami Valley School of Nursing. She retired from Springfield Community Hospital in 1996, after 30 years, then worked casual call for the hospital for a few years. Suzanne was an active member of The United Church of South Vienna until her death in 2008.  Roger continued to live in South Vienna until he died in March, 2017.
Ron Shoemaker was born in Springfield, Ohio, on November 9, 1936, and Carolyn (Rockfield) Shoemaker was born in Plattsburg, Ohio, on August 17, 1938. They were married on September 7, 1958, in Plattsburg, Ohio, and they are the parents of five children; Linda Schwitzgable, Rolland Shoemaker, Kenneth Shoemaker, Nancy Keith, and Bill Shoemaker. Ron graduated from Northeastern High School in 1954, and from Bowling Green State University in 1958. He was a member of the United States Army National Guard from 1959-1965. He went to work in the family business, Shoemaker’s Super Valu, in 1958, and has been involved as a
partner in the following businesses since that time; Shoemaker’s Super Valu in South Vienna, Shoemaker’s Market in South
Charleston, Ron and Jack’s Short Stop Convenience Stores in Russells Point and Marion, Shoemaker’s Super Valu in Greenfield, and Shoemaker’s Hardware and NAPA Auto Parts in South Charleston. Ron is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, and was a member of the South Vienna Kiwanis Club from its organization in 1966 until it disbanded in 2009. He was scorekeeper for the Northeastern softball team for four years, and
was a member of the Board of Trustees at Clark Technical College from1984-1987. Ron was also scoutmaster for Troop 6 in South Vienna for several years. Carolyn is a 1956 graduate of Northeastern High School and attended Springfield Business School until she obtained a job in the credit department at Sears Roebuck and Co. Shortly after her marriage she became an employee of Shoemaker’s Super Valu and was either a full-time or part-time employee until the
business closed in 2010. She is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, where she has served as a deacon. She was also a member of the flower committee for fifty years. She has also served as a 4H leader and Cub Scout leader when her children were involved in these activities. Ron and Carolyn presently live just outside of the village of Plattsburg.
Warren Smith was born on November 13, 1944, in Springfield, Ohio, the son of Russell and Mary (Rittenhouse) Smith. Warren had two brothers, Russell Smith and Richard Smith. Donna Smith was born on November 10, 1947, in Detroit, Michigan, the daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Williamson. Richard was a salesman, and for a time operated a used automobile lot in South Vienna. Elizabeth was a secretary. Donna has two brothers, John and Mike Williamson. Warren and Donna were married in 1966, and they have two children, Amy Etters, born in 1969, and Gregory Smith, born in 1973. Warren graduated from Northeastern High School in 1962, and went to work for the Kissell Company shortly thereafter. In 1965 he left the Kissell Company and took a job at Miller Printing as an offset pressmanprinter, where he worked until his retirement in 2013. Warren has been a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department since 1963, and served as chief of the department from 1981 until 2009. He has also served as a member of the village council of South Vienna since 1970, and for a time was president of the council. He has been a member of the United Church of South Vienna, where he has held the positions of usher, trustee, and member of the board of managers.. He has also served as a committee member of the Boy Scouts of America, and as a baseball and softball coach. Donna Smith graduated from Northeastern High School in 1965, and soon went to work for Sears. In 1969, she quit her job to raise her family, then went back to work in 1986 as a customer service representative for Springfield Community Hospital, a position she held until her retirement in 2013. She has served as a council member of the Village of South Vienna since 1988, and was an original member of the South Vienna Corn Festival Committee. She remained a member of this committee until 1986. She has been an active member of the United Church of South Vienna, where she has held positions on the board of managers and the music and worship committee. Donna was the junior choir director and a member of the adult choir. She has been a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department since 1974, and served as a dispatcher until the position was eliminated, and as a member of the fire auxiliary. She also spent time as a special friend at South Vienna School.
 was born in Springfield, Ohio, on June 29, 1813. He was the son of John Lingle, who came to Springfield at a very early day. Huldah Laird was born May 7,
1816, on the “old” Scott farm, near Springfield, the daughter of David Laird. The Doctor and Huldah were united in marriage on April 23, 1837, and they had three children; Melissa was born Sept. 23, 1838; Tabitha (wife of Joseph Clima) was born October 26, 1842; and Henry C. was born in November, 1844. Dr. Lingle studied medicine at the Medical College of Ohio, in Cincinnati, and commenced the practice of medicine in Vienna in 1836. He was elected Township Treasurer for twelve years, and was also elected Justice of the Peace of Harmony Township in 1847. He was Captain of a State militia company when we had problems with the “solid south”, and served as a “squirrel hunter”, and was in the Morgan raid. When the cholera epidemic made its appearance in the village of
Vienna in 1850, Dr. And Mrs. Lingle opened their house for the sick, worked with the sick and dying, and did all that it was possible for them to do. Dr. Lingle died December 8, 1878.

William T. Harris was born in Clark County, Ohio, on September 17, 1826. He was brought up on a farm, and continued to farm until he was 45 years old, when he quit farming and moved to Vienna and commenced mercantile life in 1871. He was the leading merchant in town, and had a considerable stock of drygoods and groceries such as is usually kept in a country store. He was married to Mary C. Forshee on November 19, 1848, and they had four children. His wife died in January, 1861, and he married his second wife, Rosanna McGarry (nee Marsh) in March 1863. The second marriage produced two more children; Oliver B. and Manville R. Mr. Harris served two terms as Justice of the Peace in Harmony Township, was an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and was a leading member of the Christian Church of Vienna.

Freeman V. Hartman was born in Harmony Township, Clark County, Ohio, on February 28, 1834. He was married in November, 1851, to Catharine Dynes, a daughter of George Dynes, an old settler in Harmony Township. They had three daughters; Mary E.(wife of George F. Tavener), Elizabeth (wife of J. M. Olinger), and Jennie R. (Wife of David H. Campbell). Catharine died on August 25, 1865, and Mr. Hartman was married to his second wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Keyes (nee Dynes - a sister to his first wife), on July 11, 1880, at Springfield, Ohio. He was elected Township Clerk for seven terms, was appointed a Deputy United States Marshal in 1880, took the census of Harmony Township, and was a member of the Republican Central Committee of Clark County for ten years.
Dana was born in 1925, in South Vienna, Ohio, the son of Charles and Hazel Stites. He has two brothers, Everett G. and Max E. Stites. Dana graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1943, and soon after served his country in World War II in the United States Army. He received the Combat Infantry Badge, Bronze Star, and 3 battle stars. After the war, he went to work at International Harvester Company, where he was a tool and die maker foreman. This is a position he would hold until his retirement. Dana was a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department from 1942 until he retired from the department in 2006, and was chief of that department from 1962 until 1971. He was also a council member in the village of South Vienna from 1955 until 1964. He was an active member of the United Church of South Vienna, where he  held the positions of deacon, trustee, Sunday School superintendent, Sunday school teacher, and was choir director for twenty-five years. He was also a member of Fielding Lodge FAAM, the London Council RUSM, Adoniram Chapter RAM, and Eastern Star. Lauranell was born in 1926, in Springfield, Ohio, the daughter of Glenn and Goldie Shields. She has one sister, Helen Shields, and one brother, Martin Shields. She graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1945, and then started her career as a bookkeeper and payroll clerk. She held positions at the Farm Bureau Coop Association for five and one-half years, Bauer Brothers Company for ten and one-half years, and Clark State Community for 11 years. She was billing clerk for the South Vienna Sewer and Water Department for five years, and was an active member of the United Church of South Vienna for over fifty years. She served as church treasurer for over twenty years, and has been president of the church’s women’s group, president of the County U.C.C. Women’s Group, and building fund treasurer for the UCC. She was also been a member of the Anna Gilbert Chapter OES for 48 years. Dana and Lauranell were married in 1949, and have one son, Thomas G., who was born in 1958.  They were residents of South Vienna until their deaths;  Dana on October 18, 2014, and Laura Nell on August 8, 2015.
Pete was born October 19, 1910, in Springfield, Ohio, the son of William and Mary A. (Pierson) Bailey. He was a retired employee of the Department of Transportation for the State of Ohio, and he also drove a school bus for the Northeastern School District for several years. He was a past chief of the Harmony Township Fire Department and was recognized for 37 years of service to the local fire department and the Clark County Fire Fighters Association. He was a thirty-five year active member and Past Grand of Vienna 345 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, past Grand Marshal of the Corn Festival in South Vienna, and was involved in numerous civic activities in the village. He was married to Naomi L. (Merritt) for 49 years.  She was born in South Vienna January 14, 1910, was a life long resident of the village and was a graduate of Wittenberg University.   She taught school for 35 years, teaching at Catawba, Plattsburg, and she retired in 1975 from Southeastern Local School District.  She was a life member of the Hillside Church of God.  The Baileys were married August 5, 1939 and they had four sons; P. Douglas, Richard L., Donald M. And Dana L .After her death, he was married to Alice (Crabbe) for two years, until his death in September, 1991.

John R. Garringer was born in Fayette County, Ohio, on January 14, 1924, the son of George
A. and Martha L. Garringer. He married Roma Jean (Sheets) on December 15, 1945, and they
have three children: Dr. William A. Garringer, Dr. Jacqueline A. Garringer, and Michael A.
Garringer. He was employed at Shoemaker’s Super Valu, in South Vienna, for 22 years, then
was self-employed from 1968 - 1993, as a partner in the following businesses: Shoemaker’s
Market, South Charleston, Ohio; Ron and Jack’s Short Stop Convenience Stores in Russells
Point and Marion, Ohio; Shoemaker’s Home Center, South Charleston, Ohio, and Shoemaker’s
Super Valu, Greenfield, Ohio. John served as a member of village council from 1962 - 1966,
village mayor from 1966 - 1969, and was Scoutmaster for the South Vienna Boy Scout Troop
when it was first formed. He is a veteran of World War II, where he was a Chief Petty Officer in the U. S. Navy, serving in the Amphibious Forces in the Asiatic and Pacific War Zone. While serving in the Navy, John received the Navel Unit Citation, the Presidential Unit Citation, and six combat stars. John served on the South Charleston, Ohio Zoning Board from 1976-1984, the Clark County Board of Education from 1979-2000, and he was a member of the Fielding Lodge #192 F&AM, South Charleston, Ohio. John died in Springfield, Ohio, August 5, 2008.

Rhonda Sagraves was born in Springfield, Ohio, on September 9, 1957, the daughter of Junior and Glenna Davis. She is a 1976 graduate of Northeastern High School, and married Greg Sagraves on July 9, 1976. They have two children; Ben Sagraves and Brian Sagraves. Rhonda was employed by Shoemaker’s Super Valu, where she was scanning coordinator for 15 years. She has been a member of the village council since 2004, and has been secretary of the Corn Festival Committee since 1998. Rhonda was also the president of the South Vienna Pee Wee Football Quarterback Club from 1991-1993, and she is currently a resident of South Vienna.
John Schmid was born in Richmond, Indiana, on December 24, 1962. He married Jane (Runyan) on June 11, 1988, and they have two children; Scott Schmid and Michael Schmid. He is a 1981 graduate of Southeastern High School and a 1985 graduate of Clark State Community College. John is currently employed by Northeastern Local School District as the Director of Technology. He has been a member of the village council since 1994, and is a member of the United Church of South Vienna. John has been a coach for the Northeastern Summer Ball Association, and has coached basketball for National Trail Parks and Recreation. He has served
as the varsity soccer coach at Northeastern High School and also as the varsity basketball coach.  He is presently jayvee basketball coach at Cedarville. John is a resident of South Vienna.
Roger Davis was born in Springfield, Ohio, on April 8, 1963, the son of Junior and Glenna Davis. He is a 1981 graduate of Northeastern High School, and married Susan (Sims) on September 7, 1985. They have two children; Natalie Davis and Ryan Davis, He is currently employed by Stanley Electric U.S. Co., Inc. He has been a member of the village council since 1994, and is currently the President of Council. Roger was a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department for nineteen years, and is a current member of the United Church of South Vienna. He was the 7th grade girls basketball coach at South Vienna School from 2001-2003, and has been a coach in the Northeastern Summer Ball Association, a peewee football coach in South Vienna, and has also been involved in his children’s 4-H Club. Roger currently resides in South Vienna.
Nathan Sheerin was born in South Vienna, Ohio, in 1953. He is the son of Fred and Marvine Sheerin.. He has four siblings, Phyllis Dove, Stephen Sheerin, Timothy Sheerin, and Bonita Sheerin. He also is the father of three children: Bryan W. McEnaney, born in 1969, Scott M. Sheerin, born in 1973, and Benjamin J. Sheerin, born in 1976. Nathan graduated from Northeastern High School in Springfield, Ohio, in 1971. He ran a trucking business and was a U. S. Postal Service contractor from 1997 until his death Feb. 7, 2013. Before he started his own business, he worked for Benning Trucking from 1974-1997. He has been a member if the village council since 1992. He was also a member of the South Vienna Corn Festival Committee, and served as chairman of the committee. Nathan was a member of the Vienna Lodge #345  I.O.O.F. where he served as secretary and grand lodge representative, and once held the Noble Grand position. He is a past president of the South Vienna Area Jaycees, and was a member of the United Church of South Vienna.

John was born December 2, 1941, in St. Paris, Ohio,the son of Kenneth H. Miller and Donna Belle (Kunkle) Miller, and has two brothers, Raymond and Melvin. He is a graduate of Springfield South High School, and worked as a tool and die operator for four years, a fiberglass tech for eight years, and for International Truck and Engine in Springfield for eleven years. John was a member of the Board of Public Affairs in South Vienna, and still works for the board today. He has been a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department for over thirty years, and was a member of the Emergency Medical Service for six years. He is a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles and a member of St. Josephs Church in Springfield. Jackie was born December 10, 1942, in Springfield, Ohio, the daughter of Marion L. Downing and Mary (Wagner) Downing. She has two brothers, Larry and Timerson Downing, and one sister, Phyllis Wallen. Jackie is a graduate of Springfield South High School, worked asa waitress at F. W. Woolworth Co. for two and one half years, then worked at Mercy Hospital asa diet clerk for 28 years. She is currently a member of the Board of Public Affairs in South Vienna, and has held this position since 1989. She is a member of St. Josephs Church in Springfield, and has been a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles Ladies Auxiliary for the past 22 years. John and Jackie were married September 24, 1961, and have two children, Mary Heunen,
born in 1963, and John Miller II, born in 1967.

He was born in Clark County, Ohio, January 18, 1875, the son of Newton R. And Frances (Sullivan) Jones. As an adult, he resided on his fruit farm of three acres, situated within thevillage of Vienna, and served as the village treasurer for awhile.

D. U. Coberly was born on October 6, 1854. He was married to Laonie Clark of Vienna, and had five sons and two daughters. He taught school in Clark County for 54 years, and he was the principal of South Vienna Schools He was the first mayor of South Vienna after its incorporation in 1901, when he served from 1901-1903, and he also served during 1919 He served as assessor of Harmony Township for four years, and also served as township clerk.. He was serving as the village marshall at the time of his death. He was a member of the Vienna Lodge No. 660, Knights of the Pythias, and was a member of the Christian Church of Summerford. He died in 1928 as a result of heart disease.

John McCoy was born in Clark County, Ohio, on April 30, 1853, the son of William McCoy. He worked with his father at the cooper’s trade until 1870, when he engaged in carpentering. Mr. McCoy was married to Mary Roberts, from Madison County, in 1878. He was one of theprominent members of Vienna Lodge, No. 345, I.O.O.F., and was engaged in house-building and employed six to eight carpenters during the building season.

THOMAS ADDISON BUSBEY                                                                                                                                           Mr. Busbey was born in 1858, and was reared in Vienna.  He taught school at the early age of seventeen, and moved to Chicago in 1883 to join Railway Age magazine.  Five years later he married Emancipation Proclamation Coggeshell, daughter of William T. Coggeshell, who was Ohio's first state librarian and governor's secretary and also United States ambassador to Ecuador.  For twenty-five years he was associated with Railway Age in Chicago, serving as associate editor and managing editor and becoming a national authority on transportation matters.  He retired from the publication in 1908 and removed his residence to Vienna,, where Mrs. Busbey died in 1913.  He was a four time mayor of the village, serving from 1910 through 1916, and then served as a state senator.  He was found dead in his bed in September, 1941.

IRA ROBBINS                                                                                                                                                                  He was born October 21, 1882.  He traveled for the John Amicon Company in Springfield in 1911, then opened his own business in South Vienna about 1918.  He was the largest handler of eggs and poultry in Clark County, selling products to Springfield and Columbus hospitals, groceries, and restaurants.  He kept all chickens purchased in neat wire floored coops from seven to ten days, feeding them milk and soft food.  They were slaughtered in one room, feathers picked off in another room, dressed in still another compartment, then cooled and inspected before being taken to market.  He bought and sold 50,000 to 60,000 chickens per year.  He was mayor of South Vienna from 1926 to 1930, and was a member of the village council for at least twelve years.  He built the building presently located on the southeast corner of Main and Urbana Streets, where he also ran a restaurant for a few years.  He died in March, 1950.file://localhost/Users/carolynshoemaker/Desktop/Scan%20179.jpeg


Rolland Shoemaker was born in Springfield, Ohio, on Mar h 2, 1962, the son of Ron and Carolyn Shoemaker.  He married Stephanie Anne (Leffel) on August 2, 1985, and they have three children; Kasey Shoemaker, Kayla Shoemaker, and Wendy Shoemaker.  Rollie is a 1980 graduate of Northeastern High School and received his associates degree from Western Michigan University in 1982.  He was employed at Shoemaker's Super  Valu in South Vienna from 1982 until the business closed in November, 2010, and is currently a partner in Shoemaker's IGA in South Charleston, Ohio.  Rollie is a member of the Un tied Church of South Vienna and is an Eagle Scout from Troop 6 of South Vienna.  He has been a coach for the Northeastern Summer  Ball Association, and has coached basketball and soccer for National Trail Parks and Recreation.  Stephanie was born in Springfield, Ohio, on May 20, 1965, the daughter of Harry and Virginia Leffel.  She graduated from Northeastern High School in 1983, and has spent most of her working life at Shoemaker's Markets in South Vienna and South Charleston.  They are currently residents of South Vienna.


John W. Kennedy was born in Madison County, Ohio, on December 8, 1930, the son of Robert C. and Catherine (Eyler) Kennedy.  He married Charlene Simpson on June 12, 1951, and they had three children;  John W. Kennedy, Robert C. Kennedy, and Cathy A. Kennedy.  John was a supervisor for The Columbus Products Company for over 29 years.  He served as a member of the village council from 1965 - 1969 and 1972 - 1974, and he was village mayor from 1969 - 1971, and 1974 - 1983.  John was a veteran of the United States Army, serving in the Korean conflict, and he was a member of the St. Charles Borromeo Church in South Charleston.  He was president of the Northeastern Boosters Club and he was the manager of the South Vienna Little League Baseball Association for twelve years.  The lower diamond at Dynes Memorial Park has been named John W. Kennedy Field.  He died February 10, 1983.


Carl was born in 1945 in Lima, Ohio, the son of Lowis F. and Hazel B. Keller.  He has one sister, Judy Smith, and one brother, Fred Keller.  He graduated from Lima Senior High School in 1963, and soon after he started working for Sears.  He then accepted a position with Navistar International in Springfield, Ohio, where he worked for 32 years, before retiring.  He then started working part-time for DJ's National Food Service in Columbus, Ohio, where he has worked for several years.  Carl is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, and is a member of the Vienna Lodge #345 I.O.O.F.  He has served as an Olympics of the Mind leader in the Northeastern schools, and has also been a member of the Northeastern High School Boosters Club.  Carl was also involved in and coached youth baseball in South Vienna.  Toni was born in 1947 in Bellefontaine, Ohio, the daughter of Jesse Hill and Jacqueline (Bryant) Hill.  She has one brother, Tim, and oone sister, Teri, (Hill) Bennett.  She graduated from London High School in 1965, then attended the Ohio State School of Cosmetology.  She worked for Cintas Uniform Company for one year, then worked for Ramada Inn, in Springfield, for seven years.  In 1985 she accepted a position as an account clerk with theOhio Division of Natural Resources - Division of Watercraft, a position she still holds.  Toni served as a council member in the village of South Vienna from 1986 to 2000, when she was elected mayor.  She is still serving in that office.  She is an original and current member of the Corn Festival Committee, where she is in charge of rides and the Queen Pageant.  She is a member of the League of Women Voters as well as the Springfield Transportation Coordinating Committee, he Springfield Health District, and the United Church of South Vienna.  She was an Olympics of the Mind leader in the Northeastern School District, and is on several committees as a result of her job with the Ohio Division of Natural Resources.  Carl and Toni were married August 7, 1965, and have four children;  Tammy Schafer, born in 1966, Tracy Mcghie, born in 1969, Tricia Severaance, born in 1971, and Chad Keller, born in 1974.


     Steve was born on Sept. 23, 1917, in Orangeburg, South Carolina.  He was the son of Thomas E. Earley and Gussie B. Earley, who were farmers.  He had eight siblings;  T. F., Benton, Bryan, Edwin, Marie, Gussie Mae, and Dorothy Earley.  Steve graduated ffile://localhost/Users/carolynshoemaker/Desktop/Scan%20190%20(2).jpgrom Orangeburg High School in 1936, and in 1939 he joined tfile://localhost/Users/carolynshoemaker/Desktop/Scan%20190%20(2).jpghe Air Force and served in World War II.  After the war Steve worked as a farmer, then worked for the state of Ohio as a prison guard for twenty years.  He served the village of South Vienna as a member of the Board of Public Affairs, and worked with the local Boy Scouts of America for many years.  He was a member of the United Church of South Vienna, where he served on the Board of Managers, as a deacon, and as an usher.

     Betty was born on August 27, 1919, in Catawba, Ohio.  She is the daughter of Robert Alexander Farish and Bessie Florence (Wilson) Farish.  Robert was a businessman, who owned a grocery store in Brighton, Ohio, and later a Ford dealership in South Vienna.  Betty had six siblings, including a twin who died at the age of 21 months.  There were also Hobart, Don, Roger, June Martindale, and Nell Good.  Betty graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1937, then worked at Crowell-Collier in Springfield for five years, then worked at Shoemaker's Super Valu in South Vienna, as produce manager for 22 years.  She is a member of the United Church of South Vienna, where she has held several psitions.  She also was a deacon in the United Methodist Church before the merger, and was also a member of the pastor-parish committee. 

     Steve and Betty were married December 30, 1944, and they had two children, Bonnie Sweet Junell, born in 1949, and Ronald, born in 1951.  Steve died on May 5, 1995,  and Betty passed away November 28, 2015.


     Rodger was born in Clark County, Ohio, in 1919, the son of Ralph and Gladys (Beals) Morningstar, who were farmers.  He had two brothers, Wendell and Lowell, a one sister, Maxine Swaney.  He graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1937.  From 1940 until 1944 Rodger worked in various factories, and in 1944 he entered World War II as a platoon messenger with the Army's 10th Mountain Division He received the Combat Infantry Badge and Bronze Star with V for Valor.  He left the Army in November, 1945, and from 1946 to 1953 he served as a substitute  mail carrier for the United States Postal Service. Between 1953 and 1966 Rodger worked for several companies as a machinist, then in 1966 he became the postmaster in South Vienna.  He held this position until his retirement in 1980.  He was a council member in South Vienna from 1962 - 1965, and again from 1969 - 1972.  He was a member of the Board of Public Affairs in 1966, and served as village clerk from 1981 -1982.  

     Virginia was born in Greene County, Ohio, in 1919, the daughter of Ross and Ethel Swaney, who were farmers.  She had three sisters, Edith, Mildred, and Gertrude, and two brothers, Nathaniel and Eugene.  She graduated from Cedarville High School in 1937, and soon after she attended the Springfield School of Business where she majored in business.  She worked for three years for Commonwealth Insurance Company and one year for Johnson's Lamp Shop, but spent the majority of her time raising her family.  Virginia served the village of South Vienna first as clerk for the Board of Public Affairs, then later as clerk-treasurer for the village from 1982 until 1996.

     Rodger and Virginia were married September 3, 1940, and had four children; Dale, born in 1941, Wayne, born in 1943, David, born in 1949, and Gloria Durham, born in 1954.  Virginia died in July, 2008, and Rodger followed in December, 2009.


     Henrietta Hocter was born in Guthrie, Kentucky, on August 23, 1923, the daughter of Erby Lee and Adelone (Kitson) Massie.  She ws married to Paul William (Bill) Hocter  for 59 hers, and they had five children; Jane Dean, Dr. Nancy Cross, Kathy Breen, Robin Murphy, and Robert Hocter.  Henrietta was employed by the United States Postal Service in South Vienna, and as a teacher's aid at South Vienna School.  She was the first woman elected to the village council, a position she held from 1966 until 1983.  In February, 1983, she became the first woman to hold the office of Mayor of South Vienna, and she continued to hold that position until December, 1999.  Sh was an original member of yje Corn Festival Committee, and the first meeting was held in her home in 1976.  She was also an honorary Kentucky Colonel.  Henrietta died on March 2, 2004, in Springfield Community Hospital.


     Gene was born October 8, 1923, in South Vienna, the son of Abel Clinton and Hazel (Thomas) Shook.  He was a 1942 graduate of Plattsburg High School, and a veteran of the United States Army.  He served in World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Grimes-Kohl Post 1031.  He was a member of United Auto Workers Local 402, and was retired from Navistar.  He was a member of the United Church of South Vienna, and had served on the South Vienna Board of Public Affairs.  Gene worked on many projects as a volunteer for the community of South Vienna and Northeastern School District.  

     He was married for 52 years to Nancy Ann (Moore), and they had one son, Michael E., and one daughter, Cathie.  He died in August, 1998.

Richard Smith was born in Beatty, Ohio on September 21, 1925. He was the son of Russell and Mary (Rittenhouse) Smith, and he had two brothers, Richard R. Smith and Warren L. Smith. Richard married Dorothea Miller in 1948, and they had four children: Linda Kadel, born in 1948,Charlene Windle, born in 1957, and twin daughters, Janet Lannon and Jeanette Koons, born in 1957. Richard graduated from Plattsburg High School in 1943, in the midst of World War II,
and soon after graduation was drafted into the United States Navy as a gunner. After W. W. II, he went to work at the South Vienna Garage with his father, Russell. After his father’s death in 1968, he ran the business until 1974, when he went to work in bus maintenance for the Northeastern Local School District until his retirement in 1986. Richard was a member of the Harmony Township Fire Department from 1958 until 1981, and at the time of his retirementfrom the department he was chief. He was also a member of Vienna Lodge #345 I.O.O.F. and was involved in a square dancing club. Richard Smith died on
October 25, 1986.

Russell Smith was born in Wooster, Ohio, in 1903 to Edwin Foster and Isa May (Grossman) Smith. He had six siblings; Warren Smith, LouellaThomas, William Anglin, Samuel Smith, Ruth, and Thelma. Russell married Mary L. Rittenhouse in 1922, and together they had three children: Russell Ray Smith, born in 1923, Richard Edwin Smith, born in 1925, and Warren Lee Smith, born in 1944. Russell and Mary moved to South Vienna in 1923. He had several occupations: he was a jockey and raced horses, he was a carpenter during World War II at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, and he worked at International Harvester Company after the war. In 1949, Russell purchased the South Vienna Garage at ___ North Urbana Street, and he operated the business until he died in 1968.
He was chief of the South Vienna Fire Department, and also a member of the South Vienna Methodist Church.

He was born in Vienna August 25, 1887, the son of Jacob and Edith (Perkins) Stoll, also natives of Harmony Township. As a boy in Vienna, he attended the public schools and also business college. In April, 1909, he traveled to California, where he worked six years as a clerk in a wholesale hardware house. He then returned to Clark County and traveled for four years as a salesman for a Dayton company. He then opened a grocery and general store at 2 E. Main
Street in South Vienna, which he operated for about thirty years. On November 25, 1916, he married Mona Weldon in Denver, Colorado. They had two children,
Weldon, born in 1918, and William, born in 1921. Mrs. Stoll was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and he was affiliated with Fielding Lodge No. 192, Free and Accepted Masons. He died in October, 1984.

He was born in Clark County, Ohio, May 13, 1869, the son of William Wallace and Amanda M. (Clark) Jones. He came to Vienna when he was about ten years old, and completed his education here. He was, more or less, continuously interested in farming, as he owned twenty-two and a half acres in Pleasant Township, along with two properties in Vienna. On March 12, 1891, Mr. Jones was married in New Moorefield, Ohio, to Nellie A. Baird. She was born in Clark County, Ohio, November 2, 1872, and was a daughter of William and Nancy J. (Kimble) Baird. Mr. Jones belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church at Vienna, while his wife was a member of the Christian Church. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, and also belongedto the higher branch, the Uniform Rank, at Springfield, and also to the auxiliary, the Pythian Sisters. He was a staunch Republican, and as such, he was elected justice of the peace in 1907 for a term of four years.

He was born in Clark County, Ohio, September 10, 1851, and was a son of Thomas and Mary (Sexton) Goodfellow. He was reared in Harmony Township, and this section has always been his home, with the exception of four years spent in Kansas. In 1898, he went west and engaged in a grain and feed business at Topeka, Kansas, until June, 1902, when he returned to Clark County and resumed farming. While in Kansas, Mr. Goodfellow was married to Helen Sexton,
from Kentucky on March 1, 1889. They had one son, Thomas, who was born on April 22, 1895. In the spring of 1904, he entered into a partnership with Dr. E. H. Smith and John McCoy, in the organization of a business which they carried on under the name of the Enterprise Manufacturing Company. The partnership continued for three years, when Mr. Goodfellow bought Dr. Smith’s interest, and on Dec. 11, 1907, he purchased Mr. McCoy’s interest. He employed ten to twenty girls in the manufacture of comforts, and produced a product so excellent that demand for his products came from all over the country. In 1911, John moved the company to Bellefontaine, Ohio. Prior to entering this industry, he kept a general store for a while in Vienna. He was a Republican, and served as treasurer of Harmony Township for fifteen years, for three terms as trustee, and for a long period as a member of the school board. He belonged to Lodge No. 660, Knights of Pythias, at Vienna, where he rose to the office of chancellor commander, and was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Bellefontaine at the time of his death.


     He was born in Clark County, Ohio, April 13, 1859, the son of Abraham and Mary Ann (Jones) Weaver.  He was reared in Clark County and attended the district school.  In 1885 he settled in Madison County and lived there until 1890, when he came to Vienna, where he owned property, conducted a blacksmith shop, and engaged in farming.  He married Luemma Smith, who was born in 1861, and they had two children; Gilbert, who was born March 31, 1886, and Irene, who was born March 24, 1896.  Mr. Weaver was a township trustee for three years, belonged to Lodge No. 345, Odd Fellows, at Vienna, and was a member of the board of trustees of the Christian Church of Vienna.  He also served several years as a member of the school board.

                                             BANK ROBBERY, APRIL 21, 1934

                                                          BANDIT KILLS H. MARLIN SAYLOR, CASHIER OF SOUTH VIENNA BANK
                                                                          GUNMAN ESCAPES IN AUTO WITHOUT LOOT
                                                                            SOUTH VIENNA CASE BAFFLES OFFICIALS
                                                         FINDINGS TEND TO SUBSTANTIATE THEORY BANDIT SHOT BANKER
                                                                  Authorities, However, Without Definite Clues in Saylor Slaying
                                                                              LACK OF WITNESSES HAMPERING PROBE
                                                                       Every Possible Angle of Shooting Is Being Investigated

(Special to the Daily News)
SOUTH VIENNA,O., April 21, 1934 --- Belief that H. Marlin Saylor, 57, president and cashier of The Farmers Deposit Bank here, was murdered when he resisted the commands of a bandit who planned to rob the bank was strengthened today in the minds of Clark County authorities who continued baffled in their efforts to solve the mystery.  They admit they are without tangible clues, and are working in the dark.
          Shortly before noon Saturday, Coroner Austin M. Richards gave a verdict of homicide in Saylor's death, declaring that he was convinced that the banker was shot by an amateur robber, who fired either because he was annoyed by Saylor's delay in turning over the money to him or because he became frightened when another bank employee appeared at the door.
          Coroner Richards said he is convinced that the shooting could have occurred in no other way than by an amateur bandit.  His theory was supported by Sheriff George W. Benham and other officials.  Richards turned his evidence in the matter over to Prosecuting Attorney Orville Wear, who entered the investigation Saturday.
          Saturday, the bank was in charge of John F. Beard, Springfield, a former banker, who was appointed by the Ohio Department of Banks and Banking to take charge of the bank's affairs until reorganization is effected.  Beard said a check of the books showed the receipts to be $2.20 over record.  
          Saylor, they said, had no known enemies.  He was a man of congenial nature, acquainted personally with practically every resident of this town of 400 residents, they said.  Possessed by an ability to make friends easily, he was well-liked by all who knew him.  There was no reason, officials declared, why anyone should take the banker's life because of any differences with patrons of the bank.
          Saylor was shot and killed Friday about 12:45 p.m. as he stood at a cashier's window in the bank about five minutes after returning from lunch.  The gunman, who escaped without touching any of the money found lying on the counter, was the only other person in the bank at the time.  
          As far as authorities could determine, there were no witnesses to the tragedy, and no one saw the killer leave the bank.  It is possible, investigators said, that the gunman could have escaped through a passageway between the bank building, and McCann's Restaurant, immediately east of the bank.  
          They also pointed out that the killer could have escaped from the scene by means of an automobile which he may have had parked beside the restaurant, on State Route 54, which intersects with United States Route 40 here.  At the time the gun was fired, there was no one on the street within view of the bank.
          Friends and associates of Saylor said he was the type of man who would resist any effort to rob the bank.  It was known, they said, that Saylor intimated many times that he would defy bank robbers.
          As these facts were unfolded by authorities, Sheriff George W. Benham, who is heading an investigation of Saylor's death, said that he leaned toward the theory that the man was shot during an attempted robbery.
          Coroner Richards conducted an autopsy on Saylor's body Friday night, and found that he was killed with a .38 caliber bullet fired from a revolver, the exact type of which is unknown.  The probe for the bullet was made by Dr. Charles B. Kingry, pathologist at the Springfield City Hospital.  
          Local authorities were aided in this part of the investigation by Edwin J. Yantis and H. C. Jenkins of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation at the London Prison Farm near here.  
          Rumors that Saylor had committed suicide, which were circulated by local residents, were quickly discounted by authorities.  These rumors were started, it is believed, because no one could say positively that they saw a man leave the bank following the shooting.  It was an unusual situation, however, in that there was no one on the street at that time.  Apparently, authorities said, everyone was at lunch.
          The investigating group also included Deputy Sheriffs Frank E. Haerr, J. Arthur Shuman, Niles E. Young, and Edward F. Furry, a corps of special deputies and officials of the Springfield Outpost of the State Highway Patrol.  Springfield police also aided in a search for the slayer when it was reported that he had escaped in an automobile toward Springfield.  This report was not verified, however, and officials were unable to explain the killer's disappearance from the village.
          It was found that Saylor carried two policies for accidental death.  One was for $7,500 and the other was for $500.
          A thorough search of the vicinity revealed no weapon or any tangible clues with which authorities could base a search for the murderer.
          Saylor, authorities said their investigation disclosed, was shot down without a chance to defend himself.  He died almost instantly, according to Dr. E. H. Long, South Vienna, who was the first to examine the body, after being summoned by Lewis Jones, bookkeeper at the bank.
          The fatal shooting occurred about 12:45 p.m. as Jones was about to enter the bank on his return from lunch.  As he inserted his key into the lock of the bank employees private entrance, he heard the report of a revolver.
          Becoming excited, Jones turned and ran west to a poultry house operated by I. A. Robbins, who is chairman of the board of directors of the bank, and sounded an alarm.  When Jones, Robbins, and several men returned to the bank, they found Saylor on the floor of the bank, behind the cashier's window.
          Dr. Long was called, but Saylor was dead when the physician arrived.  The killer had fled, leaving no clues.
          The investigation revealed that Saylor had eaten lunch with William Malcolm Elder, attorney, of South Charleston, in McCann's Restaurant, next door to the bank, a few minutes before Saylor was killed.  Elder, who is the attorney for the bank, is associated with the law firm of Todd, Tehan, and Lorentz, Springfield.
          The attorney had been in South Vienna Friday morning on other business and had called at the bank shortly after 12 o'clock, he said.  At Saylor's suggestion, they went to lunch.  About 12:30 p.m. Elder left Saylor in the restaurant and returned to his office in Springfield.
          Saylor left the restaurant about 12:40 p.m. to return to the bank.  The shooting occurred a few minutes later.  
          Elder also disclosed that when he and Saylor left for lunch, none of the other employees was in the bank.  As was his custom, the banker left a note on the door, saying that he could be found in the restaurant if any customers wished to get in the bank.
          Jones, who had left for lunch before Saylor and Elder, saw a man enter the bank as he was crossing the street on his return.  He paid no attention to the man as he thought it was a customer.  His attention was attracted to a large covered truck parked in front of the bank.  Curious, he looked into the rear of the van to see what the truck was hauling.  He then went to the private door and started to enter, when he heard the shot.
          Jones had been walking toward the bank with Kenneth North, a guard at the London Prison Farm in London, who went into McCann's Restaurant.  North was armed, but Jones, in his excitement following the shooting, did not think to run to the restaurant and secure North's aid.
          Elder said his conversation with Saylor was general and that they mentioned the bank occasionally.  He declared that as far as he knows, the bank's affairs are "perfectly sound", and that Saylor's personal finances are sound.  In an attempt to establish a motive, authorities asked Elder various questions about the bank's business.  He said that the bank had made no mortgage foreclosures in the last three years.  As far as could be determined, only one person saw a man who might have been the slayer.  He is Harriison Davey, South Vienna, who was in a pool room on the northeast corner of the road intersection in the center of the village.  Davey said he saw a man cross the street near the bank, get into a large black sedan, or coach, and drive west toward Springfield.
          Authorities pointed out that the driver of the car, if he was the slayer, could have easily changed his course because of the numerous side roads in the vicinity.
          Davey's description of the man was that he was about 35 years old, of medium height and heavy.  This description answers those given by several persons who suspect that he may have been the same man who was seen in two places shortly before the shooting.
          Mrs. Zena Sheets, proprietor of a restaurant on the north side of the road, just west of the intersection, said that a man that she had never seen before entered her restaurant about 12:15 p.m. He purchased a sandwich and a cup of coffee, and left.
          After leaving the Sheets Restaurant, the man is believed to have gone to McCann's Restaurant, located on the southwest corner of the intersection, where he purchased a sandwich and a glass of milk.  He remained in the place until after Saylor had left.  Then, several minutes later, the stranger left.  There is no evidence, however, that the stranger is the murderer.
          Saylor was shot once through the left cheek, just below the temple, the bullet taking a slightly downward course, severed the left carotid artery, passed through the spinal cord between the first and second cervical vertebrae, and lodged in the fatty tissue in the back of the neck.
          Authorities believe that the killer  fired from the customer's side of the main room of the bank, which is separated by a partition.  The partition consists of two tellers'  windows, which are separated by wooden panels which include small squares of frosted glass.
          No marks of any kind were found on the panels of glass, leading the investigators to believe that the bullet was fired through the iron bars of one of the tellers' cages.
          The evidence also showed that Saylor apparently was standing at one of the tellers' cages, counting currency, because of the position of the body as it was found lying on the floor.  About $200 in small bills were strewn along the counter, there being but $380 in cash in the bank at the time.  The remainder of the bank's deposits, securities, and other resources are deposited in The First National Bank and Trust Company, in Springfield.
          A revolver which was kept on a ledge below the counter was untouched, officials found, as it was covered with dust and could not have been handled without showing plain signs of being touched.  They also said that the gun was so far to the rear of the ledge that it would have been impossible for Saylor to have obtained it for self protection without making a full movement of his body.  
          One theory advanced by the investigators is that Saylor attempted to get the gun when he was shot, and another theory is that the killer was frightened by the arrival at the bank by Jones.
          There are three doors leading into the bank from the main street.  One leads into a small lobby, which is used by the customers.  The other two, which are west of the first door, lead into the office portion of the bank.  The lobby door, and the first door to the west, are separated by the partition used as the tellers' windows.  The two parts of the room are connected by a door, which is kept locked.
          Mrs. Ruth Saylor, wife of the victim, was in Columbus when the shooting occurred.  She was notified and brought to her home here, where she is under the care of her physician.
          Saylor, it was learned, had been in Springfield during the morning, leaving there shortly after 11 a.m.  His errands there included a visit to the First National Bank and Trust Co., but the nature of his business was not disclosed by bank officials.  
          In the afternoon, Saylor was to have had a conference with State Senator James M. Matthews, Jr., of Enon, on the proposed new banking bill.  Just before he left Columbus for South Vienna, Senator Matthews telephoned the Springfield Daily News and Sun on another matter and learned, during the conversation, that Saylor had been killed.
          Several persons in the vicinity said they heard what they believed to have been the bank's burglar alarm, but an investigation by officials showed that these reports were erroneous.  The alarm was tested thoroughly and found to be in working order.  The officials said it had not been touched, although they were of the opinion that Saylor may have attempted to ring it.  
          Following a preliminary investigation of the body by Alfred Woods, deputy county coroner in the office of Coroner Richards, the body was taken to the Jckson Funeral Home in Springfield.  Funeral services will be held Monday at 2 p.m. at the residence here, and burial will be in the South Vienna Cemetery.  
          In addition to his widow, Saylor is survived by a sister, Mrs. Joan Konkle, Montoursville, Pa.;  four nieces, Mrs. E. H. Long, South Vienna;  Mrs. Joan Young, Chicago, Ill.;  Mrs. Kenneth McKenzie, E. Orange, N. J.;  and Mrs. J. A. Hayes, Washington, D.C.;  and a nephew, Gobin Smith, Pittsburgh, Pa.
          The funeral services will be in charge of Palestine Commandery, No. 33, Knights Templar, of Springfield.
          The receipts and books of the bank were checked by Robert M. Ireland, assistant cashier of The First National Bank and Trust Co., Springfield.  Ireland, not knowing that Saylor had been killed, telephoned the bank about 1:30 p.m. and talked to a newspaper reporter, who told him of the tragedy.  A friend and business associate of Saylor, Ireland arrived at the bank a short time later and conducted a check of its finances to determine whether any money had been stolen.

                    Fron the Springfield Daily News, Saturday, April 21, 1934.


Pictures clockwise from bottom left:  Lewis Jones, bank employee;  bank lobby; H. Marlin Saylor;  McCann's Restaurant; and Sheets' Restaurant.

Sometime later, Vernon Taylor and Henry Hopkins were arrested in connection with this robbery, and authorities suspected them of pulling off a string of robberies --------eight in 22 days.